Monday 29 December 2008

Thoughts on studying

The OU are doing a short course on "Darwin and evolution" to mark the 150th anniversary of the publication of "On the Origin of Species" (and, iirc, the 200th anniversary of his birth).

I'd like to put some effort into learning more about the supporting evidence - the course seems to focus on that to a degree. They recommend 5 to 7 hours a week; should be possible. That is assuming I actually put my back into it and don't slack off part-way in.

The other question is whether it should be part of a more directed course of study. I did have an idea while walking back from town the other day about a subject that would be worthy of research and something that would interest me wrt evolution. For the life of me I can't remember what it is...

2 comments:

  1. Well, I took the plunge, and have signed up for S170 - Darwin and evolution. It's a 10 point 'short course' that should take 20 weeks, and 6-8 hours of study a week. That's an hour a day, although I'm guessing that I'll have to devote lots of time at the weekends to cover the weekdays I don't have time for it!

    Now I'm all excited, and want to get started immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...of course, I fully expect this course to provide plenty of fuel for this blog!

    ReplyDelete